Saturday, March 27, 2010

Instructional Video

Here is my instructional video that I created based on Robert Frost's poem, "The Road Not Taken."



In considering what lessons or activities could be enhanced by using this technology, I immediately thought of it as a way for students to share their understanding of a piece of literature or poem, looking, perhaps, at symbols and themes within that work. This is the concept behind the instructional video I created. I would implement it in a book or poetry unit, having students first analyze a piece of literature, learn the technology, create their video, and then share their products with the class. Many students, who may have difficulty writing a report explaining a theme or symbol may find it easier to create something like this.

However, another way instructional videos could be used is by the teacher as a way to introduce a subject or to teach a concept. This could range from the book "trailers" we saw in class to videos introducing a theme for discussion. The possibilities really are endless in the ways short instructional videos can be implemented in the English classroom. I believe they are a great way to engage students' attention and to allow them to create their own interpretations of literary works.

2 comments:

  1. Emily, that was quite a good video--I think I'll use it as an example in the future for other students. You got full credit, but the only comment I would make is that it could have been even more awesome if you'd played with the symbolism a little more and how the poem can represent and apply to our own lives. You started that with the Wordle, which I thought was really cool, and I think you could have gone with that a little more.

    But overall, very good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it, without the sound. I agree with Rick W., the Wordle was a nice addition and I would love to hear the words the students would have added but I also realize that this was an example...Awesome!

    ReplyDelete